Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Helping my new friend


On Friday, March 26, 2010, I visited the National Rehabilitation Center in Korea (left image) for the first time. There, I thought that I was going to have a difficult time helping the handicaps. I took an entire bag just in case that I might need anything. In the bag, there was a water bottle, three books for teaching English to kids, and a large pencil case. I was extremely nervous when I entered the hospital. I waited for the head nurse to tell me what to do. After a couple of minutes, the head nurse introduced a boy just three years older than me.

He was extremely small because his muscles could not react to his growth spurts. Therefore, he had a seriously curved spine. His entire body kept shivering and he could not talk well. I was so shocked that I felt that he was half-dead. The head nurse put us in an enclosed room, shut the door, and left. I was still recovering from my shock and I did not know what to do. First, we just stared at each other. Next, we had short conversations. Then, we talked very much without stopping. Finally, I followed him everywhere he went.

While, I was with him, I felt that these people were no different than normal people. The only difference was that they had some disabilities. These handicaps had a pure heart and an encouraging mind, unlike the general belief of violent handicaps. Therefore, I promised to myself that I would help these people for my whole life.

2 comments:

  1. I wish that you would keep helping and supporting poor people with disabilities!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I hope to become a doctor and help handicaps in the future! ;)

    ReplyDelete